Kenzie is a poet, editor, photographer, designer, and literary activist. She is currently a second-year PhD in English and Creative Writing at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, where she is an Advanced Opportunity Fellow, Chancellor’s Award recipient, and a Teaching Assistant in American Indian Studies. She received her MFA in Poetry from the University of Michigan’s Helen Zell Writers’ Program (‘14), where she received Hopwood Prizes in poetry and non-fiction. She is the recipient of the 2014 Littoral Press Poetry Prize, a 2013Aspen Summer Words Emerging Writers Fellowship from the Aspen Writers’ Foundation, and a Zell residency fellowship from the Vermont Studio Center.
Originally from West Texas, she now shares time between Trondheim, Norway, and her tribe’s reservation in Oneida, Wisconsin. She is at work on her first manuscript in poetry, a chapbook of Texas poems, and a memoir about blood quantum, as well as several opera projects. Her poems have appeared in Sonora Review, The Iowa Review, Indiana Review, Drunken Boat, SOFTBLOW, Apogee, Boston Review, Narrative, Best New Poets 2016, and other venues, and she is the managing editor of Anthropoid and the founder of Apiary Lit.
Kenzie loves cacti and the two-step. By day she works as a web and ui/ux designer and by night she tries to contact Norman Dubie through her dreams. She graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with a bachelor’s degree in Anthropology (with Robert Sussman, Tab Rasmussen and field work with John Kelly; graduate ethnographic study with Ruth Behar, linguistic anthropology study with Bernard Perley) and continues to develop work in applied anthropology, ethnopoetics and ethnographic studies, most recently as a Student Representative for the High Plains Society for Applied Anthropology. She loves to travel.
- PhD – University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, Advanced Opportunity Fellow, Chancellor’s Award (2016-2019)
- MFA – University of Michigan, Helen Zell Writers’ Program (Poetry, 2014)
- BA – Washington University in St. Louis (Anthropology, Writing)
- Archaeological Field school with John Kelly, Cahokia Mounds, IL
- Fall 2016 – Spring 2018 – University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, AIS 101: Intro to American Indian Studies Teaching Assistant & leader of 4 weekly discussion sections.
- April 2015 – Apiary Lit, Generative Workshop in Poetry online course – A generative writing workshop for all levels, covering technique fundamentals as well as exploration through prompts and exercises. Divided into themed sections intended to develop a shared vocabulary for the description of writing craft and other arts, such as juxtaposition, mapping, and framework.
- Spring 2014 – University of Michigan, English 223: Intro to Creative Writing – “The Modern Creative’s Workshop”: a creative writing course focusing on craft, generative exercises, and the reading of texts from a writer’s perspective, developed through a “toolbox” of various techniques and forms, and covering poetry, fiction, and conceptual/visual and digital works.
- Fall 2013 – University of Michigan, English 125: Writing and Academic Inquiry – “The Craft of Human Inquiry”: a composition course structured around issues of identity, culture, and human nature.
fellowships & residencies
- Advanced Opportunity Program Fellow – University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, 2016-2019
- AWP Writer to Writer Mentorship with Ernestine Hayes, fall 2014
- Zell Postgraduate Fellowship – University of Michigan, 2014-2015
- Helen Zell Graduate Fellow – University of Michigan, 2012-2014
- Vermont Studio Center Helen Zell Fellowship, 2013
- Aspen Summer Words Fellow, 2013
- Dzanc Disquiet International Literary Prize, scholarship, 2013
- 2016 – reader, Sundress Press Annual Chapbook competition
- 2015 – 2016 – Product/UI Designer, Guidings
- 2015 – co-editor, Bettering American Poetry 2015
- 2015 – guest editor, Noble / Gas Qtrly
- 2015 – Reading Panel, Red Paint Hill‘s Bryant-Lisembee Book Prize
- 2015 – present – Art Editor, Reservoir
- 2015 – present – Founder & Director of Apiary Lit Workshops & Editorial Services
- 2013 – present – Founder & Managing Editor of Anthropoid
- 2012 – Entrepreneurs Roundtable Accelerator, PR & Design (social media marketing, ui/ux, web & mobile web, product development, mentor & consultant)
- 2012 – reader, A Cappella Zoo
- 2012 – reader, Utter
- 2012 – design, Orange Quarterly
- 2009 – present – Strateglobe LLC, digital marketing and media
- 2008 – 2010 – Washington University in St. Louis – digital humanities lab consultant
- 2006 – editorial committee, design committee, Bellerive